Thursday, October 13, 2011

Another night in Haiti

If you guys could only see and hear what I am witnessing right now. Because we stay on site here at the orphanage, we have the privilege of listening in on their all night prayer vigil. Which, in the United States would be a quiet affair. Not the case here. I am typing this at 10:35 PM because there is no possible way that we could sleep.

What I hear is severe praying, constant singing, loud pleading, screaming and shaking. And apparently they are speaking in tongues (of course, I would not know the difference since I cannot understand a word of any of it.) They are on their knees pleading with our God. It is really powerful. Very convicting actually. Why, oh why, don't we worship a bit more freely?

As for the events of the day, Eddy and I went to the Haitian courthouse in Croix de Bouquet. We literally walked in, signed our name on a piece of paper, and walked out. There just seems to be so many unnecessary steps to adopting a Haitian child. We are praying for the process to speed up. No unnecessary steps. Get these kids home!

But my day with Kervens was pretty much close to perfect. He was much calmer today. I am learning that certain things get him riled...like people. So, we spent about 4 hours in the tent and he took a great nap, then just chilled with me on the mat. He played with his toys, but mostly he played with the tag inside his shirt. He loves to soothe himself while rubbing the tag inside his shirt. It is really cute.

He is an absolute parrot - repeating everything I say. Everything. I got him saying I love you tonight. I would say to him, "I love you", while I pointed to him. He would repeat and say, "No, I love you", while pointing to me. It was a fun little game.

This is the first trip that I have had communication with him. He did not talk much during the other trips. But he is full of words now. And I am understanding a lot of what he is saying...in creole. Then I teach him the English words and he repeats those.

Oh, this journey. How in the world did we get here? I can't wrap my head around it. But here we are. Loving this boy on this seemingly God-forsaken island. But we know our God has not forsaken this land or these people. We love these people surrounding our boy. They are good. They are loving. They teach me a ton about worship and dependence on God.

And the singing continues...













By the way, this is Kendra (the white girl above). I have grown in my admiration for her this trip. I mean, I knew she was pretty special. But oh my goodness, this lady loves and serves and gives NON STOP! She has the sweetest spirit about her. And she is FUNNY! She cracks me up all the time. When I grow up, I wanna be just like her! =)

Tonight we laughed so hard we could not breathe! You see, during the prayer vigil, we decided to walk together to the potty. And to get to the potty, we had to walk through the group of people praying and singing. Well, right before entering the potty, a lady started screaming and shaking and convulsing due to being in extreme worship mode. And she was right next to us! Kendra's face is what I will NEVER forget. We both freaked out and jumped a mile high. Then we got behind a wall and started laughing uncontrollably. Fun memories.

Posted by Carlee, using my iPad

No comments: